Best suggestion when fishing in Parkway waters is to contact the local ranger for special regulations/rules that apply to that specific fishing area for bait type, limits, etc. Regulations are normally posted at each Parkway fishing area, but they are different from place to place.
License requirements shall conform to those established by the State in which the water is located. No special trout license is required when fishing in Parkway waters. A fishing license from either state (Virginia or North Carolina) is valid in all Parkway waters.
The fishing season and hours shall conform to those established by the State except that fishing is prohibited one-half hour after sunset until one-half hour before sunrise on all Parkway waters.
Creel and Size Limits
Creel and size limits shall conform to those established by the State unless the water is listed in the "Special Waters" section. Limits for "Special Waters" are posted at each lake shore or stream bank.
Basin Creek and its tributaries in Doughton Park, Boone Fork, Cold Prong Branch, Laurel Creek, Sims Creek, and Camp Creek.
Abbott Lake, Little Stoney Creek, and Otter Lake.
Fishing is not permitted from the dam at Price Lake or from the footbridge in the Price Lake picnic area, or from the James River Bridge.
Bee Tree Creek, a tributary of Boone Fork, is closed for research purposes.
Bait and Lures
- The possession or use of live or dead fish, amphibians, or non-preserved fish eggs is prohibited while on or along any Parkway water.
- Digging for natural bait on Parkway land is prohibited.
- Use of bait, other than listed above, on waters classified as "General Waters" shall conform to regulations established by the State.
- The possession or use as bait of insects, worms, live or dead fish or fish parts, or other organic bait is prohibited while adjacent to, on, or in streams or lakes classified as "Special Waters."
- North Carolina: Fishing lures are limited to single-hook artificial lures in all "Special Waters" with the following exceptions; in Basin Creek and its tributaries and Boone Fork River from Price Lake Dam downstream to the Parkway boundary, the use of lures other than single-hook artificial flies is prohibited.
- Virginia: Fishing lures are limited to single-hook artificial lures.