BRPA Executive Director Job Listing
The Blue Ridge Parkway Association (BRPA) is seeking a highly-motivated part-time Executive Director to carry on the work of this non-profit organization, established in 1948 and based in Asheville, NC, that promotes and markets the Blue Ridge Parkway to potential visitors. Regular travel to Asheville required, residency of candidate within the Blue Ridge Parkway region is preferred. Includes remote work and virtual meetings.
Candidates for this position should possess excellent relationship-building skills and a passion for selling all things BRPA to our various audiences, and in particular to potential new members.
Candidate should have proven management and supervisory skills, demonstrated ability to assume initiative without direct supervision, and outstanding human relations skills with the demonstrated ability to work effectively with staff, Board of Directors, membership, general public, media, community leaders and government officials.
Applicants should submit their application and upload resume no later than November 9, 2021.
Blue Ridge Parkway Association: Executive Director Position
- Four year degree plus three years or more experience in management, Destination Marketing, public relations or equivalent preferred.
- Willingness to carry out the directives of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors of the BRPA.
- Proven management and supervisory skills.
- Demonstrated ability to assume initiative without direct supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Outstanding human relations skills with the demonstrated ability to work effectively with staff, Board of Directors, membership, general public, media, community leaders and government officials.
- Ability to conduct research, gather relevant information and materials, and provide same to the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors to aid them in their decision-making.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Carry out all directives in a timely fashion and execute all policies of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of the BRPA.
- Serve as the fiscal officer of the organization, ensuring that all revenues and expenditures align with approved budget and are annually reviewed in accordance with Board policy.
- Work with staff and the Finance Committee to prepare a proposed annual budget to be presented to the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Oversee the coordination of and the attendance of all Executive Committee and Board of Directors meetings unless directed otherwise. Prepare with the assistance of the President an Agenda for both meetings.
- Represent the organization at meetings and functions that are representative of the philosophy of the organization and within the limits of the budget as directed by the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors.
- Develop strong relationships with the leadership of the BRPA as well as with other Partner organizations, National Park Service personnel, state tourism contacts, regional tourism organizations, and community leaders.
- Oversee the renewal and implementation of the cooperative agreement with the National Park Service/Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Prepare the Annual Report for approval by the Board of Directors and distribution to the BRPA membership.
- Seek and prepare and/or oversee grant applications and be certain that work associated with these grants is properly carried out to secure these funds.
- Oversee all personnel to ensure that they are carrying out Board policies.
- Recommend to the Executive Committee any actions or policies that may be helpful in carrying out the mission or purpose of the BRPA.
- Develop strong relationships with BRPA’s vendors including website developers, graphic designer, printers and distributors. Manage selection process of vendors as needed.
- Develop a Membership Plan with the assistance of the Membership Committee, Board of Directors and Executive Committee that addresses actively pursuing new membership, maintaining existing membership, and developing new membership recruitment and retention materials.
- Actively grow a list of potential business and organization members for recruitment, and work with staff to maintain accurate current membership contacts.
- Publish and distribute a bi-monthly newsletter to all BRPA members, partners, selected media and industry officials.
- Develop an annual Marketing Implementation plan in keeping with the BRPA Marketing Plan and with the assistance of the Marketing Committee, Executive Committee and Board of Directors including the recruitment and coordination of any and all volunteers and staff to carry it out.
- Oversee the regular updates and posts to the BRPA website, mobile app and social media such as Facebook. Good social media skills and engagement with both business and public audiences is necessary.
- Salesmanship to promote opportunities to both potential and existing BRPA members. Prepare and sell photo listings and other advertising in any promotional materials produced by the BRPA including, but not limited to, BRPA’s Blue Ridge Parkway Map, Travel Planner, mobile app and website.
- Knowledge or ability to learn Google Analytics for the BRPA Website to promote results to partners and members.
Work with staff and Board Members to oversee and manage a media relations plan with the assistance from the Marketing Committee including the development of a media kit, press releases, story ideas, new photography and b-roll.
Reports and Statistical Information
- Work with staff to maintain an up-to-date list of Board of Directors, and BRPA Committees and their members.
- Prepare a quarterly report to be presented to the Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
- Maintain statistical reports with year-to-year comparisons of visitor surveys if needed.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Executive Committee and/or the President.
Other Duties and Qualifications
- Ability to lift and carry up to 35 pounds for distribution of brochures and promotional items.
- Reliable transportation is necessary for attendance at events, meetings and travel for the job.
- Attend meetings and make sales presentations in VA, NC and TN territory.