Doughton Park, MP 240
Renew your senses amid this landscape of open meadows. Doughton Park is one of the best places along the Blue Ridge Parkway to view white-tailed deer, raccoons, red and grey foxes, and bobcats.
Flowers burst on the scene in late spring and create a spectacular show as flame azalea and rhododendron bloom.
The Brinegar Cabin, craft demonstrations, and diverse hiking options and make Doughton Park a must-experience destination along the Parkway. This area has one of the Parkway's larger campgrounds, a popular picnic area and more than 30 miles of hiking trails that access forested slopes, streams and backcountry in Basin Cove. The Cove is popular for fly-fishing, horseback riding (Grassy Gap Fire Road) and backcountry camping.
What to Do
- Explore the Brinegar Cabin to see craft demonstrations or hike into Basin Cove to view the Caudill Family Homestead
- Enjoy a short hike at Fodder Stack Trail, or test your endurance on the strenuous 7.5-mile Bluff Mountain Trail - see area map
- Visit the nearby Northwest Trading Post at Milepost 258, featuring a variety of craft items and souvenirs
- Camp under the stars and enjoy ranger talks during the summer season
- Visitor information station, picnic area restrooms and campground open seasonally
- picnic area is wheelchair accessible with assistance
- restrooms are wheelchair accessible with assistance
- some interpretive programs are wheelchair accessible with assistance
- exhibits are wheelchair accessible with assistance
- campground is wheelchair accessible with assistance
- visitor information station is wheelchair accessible