Mount Pisgah, MP 408
Mount Pisgah’s spectacular views, hiking trails, camping and the Mount Pisgah Inn make this area a popular destination for visitors along the Blue Ridge Parkway. The mountain and thousands of surrounding acres was originally purchased by industrialist George Washington Vanderbilt in the late 1800s while building the Biltmore Estate in Asheville. Vanderbilt used the property as a private hunting retreat for family and friends.
What to Do
- Explore the nearby 16-mile Shut-In Trail (a National Recreation Trail), which is part of a longer route that Vanderbilt originally created for his hunting parties
- Hike to the summit of Mount Pisgah for breath-taking views
- Enjoy bird and wildlife watching
- Picnic amid natural beauty with a site offering grills, tables and restroom facilities (ADA accessible)
- Stretch your legs and grab a snack or Parkway keepsake at a seasonal country store
- Enjoy a meal at the Pisgah Inn Lodge Restaurant
- Camp under the stars or respite at the Pisgah Inn
Explore the listing of hours and opening and closing dates for visitor centers, campgrounds, and concessions and facilities - many of which are at or near the Highlights featured.