Waterrock Knob, MP 451.2
An ideal spot for watching sunrise and sunsets across the rugged mountains, Waterrock Knob Visitor Center sits at almost 6,000 feet elevation.
The nearly 360-degree view from Waterrock Knob stretches the eyes over the heart of the Southern Highlands, including all of the major southern mountain ranges including the Great Balsams, Great Smokies, Cowees, Nantahalas, Blue Ridge, Newfound Mountains, Blacks, and Craggies.
The southernmost hiking trail along the Parkway on the way to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Waterrock Knob Trail offers fantastic views both east and west.
What to Do
- Explore the visitor center and learn more about the site and the region - open seasonally
- Watch a majestic sunrise or sunset as light dances across the mountains
- Enjoy a moderate to strenuous hike (0.6 miles one way) to the top of the summit and witness breathtaking views of the Smokies and Maggie Valley
- restrooms are wheelchair accessible
- visitor center is wheelchair accessible
- information is wheelchair accessible
- exhibits are wheelchair accessible