Explore Park is the place where adventure begins! This 1,100 acre recreation facility is operated by the County of Roanoke, VA and features direct access to the Blue Ridge Parkway at Milepost 115 and an easy fifteen minute drive to the cultural amenities in downtown Roanoke.
There’s so much to do at Explore Park
- Stop by the Explore Park Visitor center to browse our museum about Blue Ridge Parkway history, and shop for artisan crafts or grab a snack at the gift shop.
- Hike or bike on fourteen miles of rolling woodland trails.
- Paddle the Roanoke River Gorge from Niagara Dam (on the Parkway) to Rutrough Point for a two-hour excursion featuring class 1 & 2 rapids.
- Toss a disc at Mayflower Hills Disc Golf Course, one of the top ranked facilities in Virginia.
- Saddle up for a horseback ride at Niagara Ranch, with no experience needed! Schedule a tour most weekends and explore many miles of trails along the Parkway.
- Relax by the campfire and enjoy special programming such as holiday events and interpretive programs from a National Park Service ranger during designated times of the year.
- COMING SOON: Explore Park is expanding with new outdoor recreation amenities on the way over the next few seasons, including an aerial adventure course, mountain bike skills park, equipment rental and an on-site restaurant or brewery.
Campgrounds at Explore Park are now open, too
Choose from several overnight accommodations including primitive campsites, canvas tent rental, pod cabins, yurts and RV sites (electric only, 50 amp service). A bathhouse is available on site. You can call to reserve a space or reserve it online!