Explore Park is the place where adventure begins! This 1,100 acre recreation facility is operated by the County of Roanoke, VA and features direct access to the Blue Ridge Parkway at Milepost 115 and an easy fifteen minute drive to the cultural amenities in downtown Roanoke.
There’s so much to do at Explore Park
- Stop by the Explore Park Visitor center to browse our museum about Blue Ridge Parkway history, and shop for artisan crafts or grab a snack at the gift shop.
- Explore your wild side at Treetop Quest, a family adventure course with zip lines and progressively challenging aerial obstacles.
- Hike or bike on fourteen miles of rolling woodland trails.
- Paddle the Roanoke River Gorge from Niagara Dam (on the Parkway) to Rutrough Point for a two-hour excursion featuring class 1 & 2 rapids.
- Toss a disc at Mayflower Hills Disc Golf Course, one of the top ranked facilities in Virginia.
- Stop by the historic Twin Creeks Brewpub at Brugh Tavern for local craft beer, wine and cider and a good meal.
- Experience weekly special events such as guided hikes with a staff naturalist, interpretive programs from a National Park Service Ranger, artisan craft demonstrations and concert series.
- Visit during the holiday season for Illuminights, the region’s winter display featuring a wooded walking tour of over 500,000 magical lights.
Campgrounds at Explore Park are now open, too
Choose from several overnight accommodations including primitive campsites, canvas tent rental, pod cabins, yurts and RV sites (electric only, 50 amp service). A bathhouse is available on site. You can call to reserve a space or reserve it online!