Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 217.5: Cumberland Knob
Located near the Virginia state line, Cumberland Knob is the site where construction of the Blue Ridge Parkway began in 1935. It was the first recreation area opened to the public and remains a favorite destination for both locals and visitors.
The mixture of lush woodlands and open fields, housing a variety of birds and other wildlife, is ideal for leisurely walks or a more demanding hike to nearby Gully Creek.
The picnic area is an appropriate location for family reunions and other informal social gatherings for Parkway neighbors. The adjoining recreation field is often used for ball games and other sports played in conjunction with family gatherings.
What to Do
- Enjoy bird and wildlife watching
- Take a leisurely hike through natural beauty or challenging hike to nearby Gully Creek – see area map
- Rejuvenate and enjoy a packed snack or lunch at a picnic area – restrooms open seasonally
- restrooms are wheelchair accessible with assistance
- picnic area is wheelchair accessible with assistance