Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 382: Folk Art Center, Visitor Center and Park Store
The Folk Art Center showcases the finest in traditional and contemporary craft of the Southern Appalachians. It houses the Southern Highland Craft Guild’s century-old Allanstand Craft Shop, exhibitions in three galleries, a library, auditorium, and a cooperating association book store and Parkway information desk. Guild artisans demonstrate a variety of arts and crafts in the Folk Art Center lobby.
The Guild’s Permanent Collection is featured in an exhibition of craft from Appalachia. The Folk Art Center was opened in 1980 as a cooperative effort between the Guild, the National Park Service and the Appalachian Regional Commission. The center is open year round except for Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.
What to Do
- Enjoy a series of educational events held year-round
- Observe daily craft demonstrations from March through December
- Peruse the Eastern National Bookstore for Parkway souvenirs
- Shop for unique hand-crafted treasures from southern Appalachian crafters
- restrooms are wheelchair accessible
- visitor center is wheelchair accessible
- exhibits are wheelchair accessible
- interpretive programs are wheelchair accessible
- picnic area is wheelchair accessible