Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 161.1 – 176.1: Mabry Mill, Rocky Knob Visitor Center and Campground, Rock Castle Gorge National Recreation Trail
Spanning Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 167 – Milepost 174, Rocky Knob comprises 4,800 acres and 15 miles of hiking trails.
The 3,500-acre Rock Castle Gorge is within Rocky Knob, with its Rock Castle Gorge National Recreation Trail.
Mabry Mill is located just south of Rocky Knob at Milepost 176.1.
Mabry Mill offers many opportunities for visitors including hiking, camping, picnicking, and a visit to one of the most-photographed structures along the Blue Ridge Parkway, Mabry Mill.
Mabry Mill was a community center for the Meadows of Dan area when it operated as a gristmill and sawmill.
Today, the area becomes another kind of community gathering place each Sunday afternoon during the summer as musicians and dancers gather.
What to Do
- Explore a short trail around the mill connecting historical exhibits about life in rural Virginia and allows visitors to view the gristmill, sawmill, and blacksmith shop
- Choose from three large picnic areas to rest and rejuvenate
- Take a hike into Rockcastle Gorge
- Enjoy wonderful agricultural scenes along the roadway that make this a truly unique portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway
- During peak seasons, enjoy demonstrations of crafts by National Park Service volunteers at Mabry Mill
Rocky Knob Campground | MP 161.1
Rocky Knob has a campground with 81 tent and 28 trailer sites, restrooms, a dump station for RVs, and a campfire circle that accommodates up to 150 campers.
Reservations can be made for portions of this campground online at www.RECREATION.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777.
The picnic area consists of 72 tables, restrooms, phone and picnic shelter. Route 758 is accessed on the west side of the Parkway and leads to the Rocky Knob Housekeeping Cabins a mile away, which are currently closed.
Area hikes include: Rockcastle Gorge, Black Ridge, Rocky Knob Picnic Area and Round Meadow Creek Trails.
- Nearby trails
- Visitor center with picnic area (MP 169)